Mac The Moose
- If you have dropped in to our Visitor Centre you will already have met Mac the Moose who stands guard outside.
- Mac was “born” in 1984, the brainchild of former tourism supporters from the city. His main job was to lure visitors into the city and his duties pretty much remain the same today.
- Touted as the World’s Largest Moose, Mac stands 32 feet tall and weighs in at 10 tons – or in today’s terms is 10 meters tall, weighing 9000 kilograms. A pretty big boy!
- Mac was constructed by Saskatoon artist, Don Foulds using a steel frame, covered with metal mesh and completed with 4 coats of cement.
- A contest was held to name the moose and the winner was Mac, after late city alderman and moose booster, Les MacKenzie.
- Mac was moved in 2004,amid great fanfare, from his location 2 km down the road. For safety sake, he was fenced in in 2009 after he lost part of his jaw.
- Mac remains one of the most photographed roadside attractions in Canada.
You can find Mac the Moose at Tourism Moose Jaw located on the corner of Thatcher Drive E and Highway #1. Come take your picture with our 32 foot Moose!
Mac the Moose is proud to be the Moose Jaw Times Herald
2013 Winner for - Moose Jaw's Best Celebrity.
Thank you Moose Jaw ~ MAC